Health Policy Analyst
Posted On: January 27, 2020
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and writing sample to jobs[at]allhealthpolicy.org. Please put “Health Policy Analyst” in the subject line.
*No phone inquiries please.*
The Alliance for Health Policy (“Alliance”) seeks an attentive and proactive problem solver who excels at both policy analysis and project management to join our team as a health policy analyst. The health policy analyst will be an integral member of the policy team in the production of high-quality and unbiased programming for members of Congress, congressional and executive branch staff, media, and health policy experts. The analyst will scope policy content and project manage Alliance events, research a variety of current health policy issues, and cultivate and maintain relationships with relevant policy experts and stakeholders. The role offers an excellent opportunity to join a growing collaborative, mission-driven organization, and to help inform critical conversations that will shape the future of the U.S. health care system. This is a full-time position in Washington, D.C.
The Alliance’s core offering is our in-person and impartial educational events and convenings (we hosted 45 last year). The Alliance does not lobby or advocate for particular positions or legislative/regulatory approaches through these briefings. Instead, these events allow attendees to better understand a wide range of foundational and niche health policy issues, as well as the various viewpoints of the health policy community that surround those issues. For each event, we assemble a balanced panel of speakers who present their insights on a given topic, facilitate a discussion that is relevant to the attendees’ day-to-day work, and provide curated lists of resources and experts for further research. The health policy analyst role is focused on managing the preparation of three to five events simultaneously, including (1) scoping the policy content that will be highlighted at each event, (2) communicating that vision to event speakers so that they understand their role in the discussion, and (3) assembling audience materials.
Working with the Alliance’s small and vibrant staff, and reporting to the director of policy and programs, the health policy analyst’s responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Research and scope content for Alliance briefings;
- Work directly with speakers to prepare them for Alliance events;
- Assemble and review event materials including resources and experts lists;
- Coordinate with other Alliance departments to ensure smooth and efficient event processes;
- Track a variety of health policy topics under discussion, especially at the federal level, and brief other Alliance staff members; and
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with a range of health policy experts.
As analysts become more experienced, they can assume broader responsibilities including serving as a subject matter expert, managing funder/sponsor relationships, and assisting the director of policy and programs or President and CEO with program strategy and special projects.
Skills and Expertise
The health policy analyst should have a solid, broad comprehension of the U.S. health care system and will expected to consistently and quickly gain in-depth knowledge about new and evolving policy topics. Given the strong nonpartisan brand of the Alliance, this person must be able to approach their work in an impartial and comprehensive way. The health policy analyst must be a proactive problem solver, have a meticulous eye for detail, and strong organizational and time management skills to juggle preparations for multiple Alliance events simultaneously. This person will regularly liaise with high-level policy professionals, government officials, and their staff, so excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Specifically, the policy analyst should have demonstrated skills or expertise in the following areas:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject from an accredited university and demonstrated work experience in a health policy-related position is required;
- Professionalism and commitment to consistently high-quality, thorough work; and
- Excellent judgment, poise, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience at a federal, state, or regulatory entity or experience at a consulting organization or trade association is preferred but not required.
- Capacity to maintain a system for tracking, monitoring, and prioritizing multiple issues, deadlines, and projects; and
- Ability to efficiently work autonomously and part of a small team as well as with a range of external stakeholders.
- Project management experience or experience developing and managing project work plans is a plus.
Research and Analysis
- Solid, broad comprehension of the U.S. health care system and health policy landscape;
- Strong foundational knowledge of the federal legislative and/or regulatory process;
- Discernment and instinct for how political and stakeholder points of view apply to specific health policy issues; and
- Capacity to conduct secondary research and ability to quickly synthesize information into key takeaways.
The Alliance is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Applicants with diverse backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives are encouraged to apply.
Salary $50,000-60,000, depending on experience and qualifications. The Alliance for Health Policy offers an outstanding benefits package, including:
- Platinum level medical insurance, dental insurance, and vision insurance with 80% employer-paid premium subsidy for employees
- 12 weeks of paid parental leave
- $2 for $1 retirement contribution match, up to 10% of salary, with immediate vesting
- $100 monthly transit benefit
- Company provided life and long-term disability insurance
- Generous paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
About the Alliance
For over 25 years, the Alliance for Health Policy has served as a nonpartisan, not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping policymakers and the public better understand health policy, the root of the nation’s health care issues, and the trade-offs posed by various proposals for change. We believe a better health care system begins with a balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives. Regardless of their point of view, our audience recognizes the Alliance’s reputation as a well-respected source for unbiased health policy information. We conduct approximately 40 live events and convenings per year for audiences ranging from new congressional staff to seasoned policy experts and media, in addition to maintaining an active schedule of policy development, policymaker outreach, and stakeholder engagement.
Our mission: To inform solutions for improving health care in the United States by bringing together policymakers and health leaders in nonpartisan forums. We advance learning and dialogue about fundamental and emerging health care issues and the tradeoffs posed by proposals for change.
Our vision: A better health care system achieved through balanced exchange of evidence, experience, and multiple perspectives.